10 questions with Simon!
For those of you who didn’t know, we have a new General Manager, Simon! He’s been with us for a few months now, and is new to the area, along with his gorgeous girlfriend, Jennifer, and their future baby girl. We asked him ten questions to help you get to know him more…
1. What made you become a General Manager?
I love working where people spend money and leave happier than when they got there. Turning people’s bad week around. I also love seeing team members develop and progress.
2. If you’re having a dinner party at home, what do you cook?
Gigot de sept heures – 7 hour slow cooked lamb, stuffed with rosemary, garlic, orange peel, star anise and anchovy with sliced potatoes underneat, baked fennel, confit tomatoes.
3. If you got your dream job tomorrow, what would you be doing?
Playing for Norwich City!
4. Any front of house annoyances?
Lack of communication is the biggest crime, that’s how disagreements start. Over sensitivity. You need to be thick skinned to work in hospitality, not precious.
5. What’s your embarrassing work moment?
Not recognising a fairly famous tv personality. Turned out ok, think they were intrigued that I had no idea who they were!
6. What words of wisdom would you give any young restaurateur starting out?
Work harder than everyone with a smile on your face.
7. What attracted you to The Swan?
I love the Swan, it’s a beautiful space with a wonderful garden. When I walked in I thought – yes I could add something here.
8. Anything you won’t eat?
Not really, just anything overcooked is a big no for me!
9. What’s your biggest achievement?
Opening my own restaurant at 25 with no experience and winning a regional award a few years later!
10. What keeps you here?